There are two tracks in the Spanish section of the Language Program: Spanish as a second language, and Spanish for Heritage Speakers.
1. Spanish as a second language offers the following lower division courses:First year (Elementary)
- Spanish 1
- Spanish 1A (Intensive)
- Spanish 1B (Intensive)
- Spanish 2
- Spanish 3
Second year (Intermediate)
- Spanish 4
- Spanish 5 and Spanish 5M (5M is required for declared Human Biology Majors)
- Spanish 6
2. Spanish for Heritage Speakers offers the following lower division courses:
- SpHS 4 (Fall Quarter only)
- SpHS 5 (Winter Quarter only)
- SpHS 6 (Spring Quarter only)
These courses are offered in sequence. They are thematic courses and are offered once a year only.
3. The following are Spanish and SpHS upper-division courses. They may be taken by students from either track who have met the prerequisite by completing courses or by taking the Spanish Placement Exam.
Third year (Advanced)
- Spanish 114, Advanced Conversation and Composition
- Spanish 156A, Hispanic Culture Through Film
- Spanish 156E, Spanish Culture
- Spanish 156F, Humor in the Spanish Speaking World
- Spanish 156J, Contemporary Central America
- Spanish 156M, Mexico and the Southwest
- SpHS 115, El ensayo lectura, analisis y redaccion
Some of these courses are offered every year. Check the schedule of classes for more information.